Thai Pork Jowl Bun With Sweet & Sour Tamarind Sauce
Chef Nuit Regular, executive chef and owner of Toronto’s Thai restaurant Pai, shares her unique take on the steamed bun: a northeastern Thai pork jowl bun with sweet and sour tamarind, roasted and crushed sticky rice and chayote and mango salad.
- 100 g pork jowl
- 1 tbs fish sauce
Keep refrigerated for 48 hours.
Nam Jimh Jaew Sour and Sweet Tamarind Dressing
- 3 tbs tamarind paste
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 2 tbs grated palm sugar
- 2 tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbs ground coarse roasted rice
- 1 tbs chopped Thai coriander
- ½ tbs thinly sliced lime leaves
- ½ tbs chopped sawtooth coriander
- Roasted dried chilli powder to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Grill pork jowl over medium high heat until it is well-done. Once cooked, slice thinly, add fish sauce and then add the set aside dressing. Serve in your favourite store-bought steamed bun (available at Asian grocery stores), or alongside steamed rice. Enjoy!