May 29, 2018
Tom Yum Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Chef Nuit Regular of popular Thai restaurants Sukothai, Khao San Road, Sabai Sabai, Pai and Kiin, shares her recipe for Tom Yum Soup.
Whisk tom yum paste with a bit of water to help loosen, which will make it easier to add to the broth.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- Cut along back of shrimp, deepening the incision to allow flavors to penetrate. Reserve. In bowl, mix tom yum paste with 1/2 cup water until smooth. Set aside.
- In medium pot, bring 4 cups water to boil. Add salt. Bruise lemongrass and shallots to release flavor. Add to pot with galangal and kaffir lime leaves. Reduce heat to medium and boil for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tom yum paste and boil again. Add mushrooms and tomatoes and cook 1 minute. Add shrimp and let simmer until shrimp are cooked or turn orange in color, about 1 minute. Turn off heat.
- Taste broth. If flavor is too strong (it will spend on the paste), adjust by adding more water 1/2 cup at a time.
- In bowl, combine fish sauce, sugar and lime juice and mix well. Add mixture to soup, to taste, to impart sweet, sour and salty flavors.
- Top soup with green onions, corianders and chili, then serve.
Michael Graydon and Nikole Herriott
House & Home April 2018