Triple Ginger CookiesRecipe By: Wendy Nielsen
“This cookie recipe — one of my favorites — comes from Canadian opera singer Wendy Nielsen. Now head of voice at the University of Toronto, Wendy is a member of our Sunday Roast Club. Whenever she and her husband are hosting, these gingery cookies are the signature dessert.” – Laura Calder
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3⁄4 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp allspice
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄3 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg until combined; add molasses and fresh ginger. In separate bowl, sift together flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Stir chopped crystallized ginger into flour mixture to separate the pieces. Stir flour mixture into the wet mixture.
- Shape dough into disc and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes and as long as 1 hour to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1 inch-diameter balls. Roll in sugar, and set 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake batches for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies puff up and show small cracks on the top. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool.