August 25, 2022
Whole Sweet Potatoes with Pasilla Chili Oil and Cotija Cheese
“This dish was inspired by visits to Quetzal restaurant in Toronto; one of its dishes involves cooking a sweet potato in charcoal for a black-crusted finish. In my version, you bake the potatoes in foil, finish directly on the grill, then add the toppings.” – Cory Vitiello, Flock Rotisserie + Greens founder.
Yield: Serves 4
Make Chili Oil
1. Lightly toast pasilla chilis in dry pan, until fragrant.
2. Transfer to spice grinder, coffee grinder or blender, and grind until as fine as possible. Combine with remaining ingredients.
3. Store refrigerated in airtight container for up to 1 month.
Make Sweet Potatoes
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Toss sweet potatoes in oil, salt and pepper, and wrap each in aluminum foil (but not too tightly) leaving room for steam to circulate. Place wrapped potatoes directly onto grill and cook for approximately 60 minutes, or until fully softened, turning over, halfway.
3. Remove foil and place potatoes directly on grill, allowing to char all around for about 4 minutes.
4. Cut slit lengthwise down potatoes and squeeze ends slightly to open up and expose interior. Season with salt and pepper, and top with crumbled cheese, Passila Chili Oil, cilantro and scallions.