August 25, 2022
Fresh Corn and Peach Skillet Cake
“Corn and peaches are my favourite summer flavour combination, whether it’s in a salad or a dessert. With the fresh cream and mint, it’s the taste of summer, conjuring up bright and sunny images. It’s just what you want to be eating in July and August.” – Cory Vitiello
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
Make Batter and Cook Peaches
- In blender, add corn, lemon juice and zest, and pur.e on high for several minutes, until completely smooth.
- Using electric beater or mixer, cream 1/2 cup sugar and ⅓ cup softened butter together. Add eggs one at a time and mix, until combined. Add cream cheese and baking powder, and mix to combine. Sift in flour and mix briefly, until just combined.
- Heat 9″ cast-iron pan on barbecue over medium heat with remaining 2 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp butter in pan. Add peach halves to pan, cut-side down, and cook until just softened and golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes, turning once.
- Remove peaches and fit bottom of pan with 9″ disc of parchment paper. Place peaches back in pan, arranging cut-side down to fill base of pan. Keep in mind this will be the presentation side.
- Pour batter into pan (it should just cover peaches) and cook on grill with lid closed over indirect heat at 350F for about 30 minutes, or until batter is cooked but a bit wet in centre. Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Run paring knife around edge of pan to loosen cake. Place serving platter over pan and quickly invert cake. Give pan a wiggle to release (be patient here if it doesn’t immediately fall).
- Garnish with generous amounts of vanilla ice cream, blueberries, chopped pistachios, mint leaves, peach slices and drizzle of maple syrup, and serve.