November 5, 2018
Ask A Chef: Brussels Sprouts With Urfa Ranch
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Chef Erik Bruner-Yang of Brothers And Sisters shares his recipe for Brussels Sprouts With Urfa Ranch.
Q: I stayed at The Line Hotel in Washington, D.C., and ate at Brothers And Sisters. The brussels sprouts were so good I needed a second order! They were served with an incredible Urfa ranch sauce. What is Urfa and can I make these at home? — Diana, Windsor, Ontario.
A: The secret to Erik’s ranch sauce is, in fact, the Urfa, a dried Turkish chili pepper with an intense, smoky-sweet flavor. This recipe is a snap to make at home, and you’ll find Urfa at any specialty goods store or spice market.
Yield: Serves 6
- In medium bowl, whisk together all Urfa Ranch ingredients until combined. Reserve.
Cook Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Trim sprouts and remove outer leaves. Depending on their size, cut in halves or quarters.
- Fill large, high-sided pot with 2 inches to 3 inches of vegetable oil. Heat oil to 400°F.
- Add brussels sprouts in batches, keeping oil temperature above 350°F. Fry until sprouts are golden to deep brown and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer fried sprouts to paper towel–lined plate to absorb some oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Move sprouts to rack set over baking tray. Keep in warm oven until ready to serve.
Serve Brussels Sprouts
- Drizzle brussels sprouts with Urfa Ranch. Season to taste with salt and garnish with chives and shallots.