July 16, 2018
Ask A Chef: Honey Salt’s Breakfast Galette
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Chef Christopher Oliveira’ of Honey Salt shares his recipe for Breakfast Galette.
Q: I’m an avid bruncher and I’ve noticed that breakfast pot pies and galettes are very popular right now. I had the galette at Honey Salt at the new Parq Vancouver hotel recently. It had a crispy base and wonderful sautéed vegetables in a creamy sauce. Can you track down the recipe? — Jenni D., Vancouver
A: The base of the galette at Honey Salt is first baked, then house-made cheddar-Parmesan cream sauce, spinach, mushrooms, ham and Gruyère are added. Everything gets baked in the oven, then topped with scrambled eggs. The trick is to spread the cheese sauce right onto the crust, creating an unctuous, crunchy bite.
Yield: Serves 2
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut 2 6″-diam. circles out of the puff pastry and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Fold over edges to make borders. Prick dough with fork, then brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add half the garlic to pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted and water has evaporated. Season with salt and transfer to plate.
- Wipe pan clean and return to medium-high heat. Add another 2 tbsp oil, remaining garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer to plate.
Make Cheese Sauce
- In heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter over medium-low heat. When melted, stir in flour to form roux. Cook roux, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- While whisking, gradually add 2 1⁄2 cups milk so that liquid is incorporated into roux without forming lumps.
- Add bay leaf and simmer on lowest heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain sauce through fine-mesh strainer and discard bay leaf. Return sauce to pan.
- Add cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and stir until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and adjust consistency with remaining 1⁄4 cup milk, if necessary. Set aside.
- On each pastry round, spread 2 tbsp cheese sauce (you will have extra). Lay ham overtop, then add mushrooms, spinach and shredded Gruyère.
- Bake in the oven at 375°F for 7 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pastry, golden brown.
- Whisk 4 eggs with cream.
- In a nonstick pan, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Melt in remaining 1 tbsp butter. Add egg mixture and season with salt and pepper. Using spatula, stir eggs until cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove pastry from oven and stack scrambled eggs in center of each galette. Garnish with chopped chives.
House & Home June 2018