Beet & Citrus SaladRecipe By: Abbey Sharp
Total Time: 80 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
This bright salad makes the best of winter produce.
- 2 red beets
- 2 golden beets
- 2 candy cane beets
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup plain Greek yogurt (2% or higher)
- 1⁄4 cup cold-pressed canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tsp poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups arugula
- 3 navel or Cara Cara oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peeled hazelnuts
Directions Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Make 3 separate foil packages with each variety of beet, reserving 1 candy cane beet for garnish. Place packages on baking sheet and roast for 50 minutes, or until beets are tender when pierced with fork. Let cool and rub off skins. Cut into wedges.
- In bowl, combine orange juice, zest, yogurt, oil, mustard and poppy seeds, and whisk until uniform. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Assemble Salad And Serve
- Arrange arugula on large platter. Trim and peel remaining beet; using mandoline or sharp knife, slice very thinly.
- Add beet slices to salad, along with roasted beets and orange segments. Top with dressing and hazelnuts.