Charred Leek & Yogurt Dip With Sweet Potato WedgesRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 11⁄4 hours
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 1 large leek, whole
- 1 drizzle vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, skin on
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp cayenne
- 1⁄2 tsp cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp ground coriander
Directions Yield: Serves 4 as a side
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high, about 450°F.
- Trim green portion off leek and discard. Slice leek in half lengthwise, leaving root end intact to hold leek together during grilling. Rinse leek thoroughly. Pat dry.
- Drizzle both leek portions with vegetable oil, then season with salt and pepper. Place on grill and cook, lid closed, 2 minutes or until black grill marks appear. Flip and grill 2 to 3 more minutes, or until charred on outside and tender in center. Remove from grill and cool.
- Slice off root end and discard. Chop leek halves.
- Place tahini in medium bowl, whisk in lemon juice until smooth, then whisk in olive oil. Stir in yogurt.
- Mix in all but 2 tbsp of chopped leeks. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Arrange rack in the lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Slice potatoes into long wedges with thick edge about 3⁄4″ thick.
- Place on rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Combine cayenne, cumin and coriander in small bowl and sprinkle over potatoes. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss together with hands, ensuring potatoes are covered in oil and seasonings.
- Bake until bottoms of potatoes are golden, about 10 minutes. Flip and continue baking until tender, 5 to 10 more minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spoon dip into serving bowl and top with remaining charred leeks.
- Place potato wedges on platter and serve with charred leek dip.