January 16, 2020
Cheese Fondue With Fried Bread
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
For this recipe, it’s important that the wine mixture doesn’t get too hot or your cheese will separate and curdle.
Yield: Serves 8
Fry Bread And Boil Potatoes
- Tear or cut bread into 1″ cubes. In medium pan, add canola oil and heat to medium. Add bread cubes and slowly cook, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Season with salt. Remove bread and place on paper towel-lined tray.
- Meanwhile, fill pot with cold, salted water and add potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In bowl, combine grated cheeses and cornstarch, and toss to coat.
- Add 1″ of water in bottom of double boiler or pot, and heat on medium.
- Rub top section of double boiler (or metal bowl that fits on top of pot) with garlic clove. Add wine and kirsch, and heat until wine mixture is steaming. Add cheese a handful at a time, while stirring, until nearly melted. Repeat until all cheese is added and mixture is smooth. Stir in lemon juice and season with nutmeg and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer mixture to fondue pot and place pot on stand with burner on.
- Arrange fried bread, cooked potatoes and other accompaniments on platter to be dipped in cheese fondue.