January 16, 2020
Seared Scallops & Artichokes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
The numeral 10/20 refers to the size of scallop (10–20 scallops per pound). Look for Espelette pepper at gourmet stores, or online through The Spice Trader.
Yield: Serves 16
Prepare Scallops, Artichokes & Lemon
- On paper towel-lined plate, spread out scallops to dry. The drier the surface of the scallops, the better they will sear.
- Separate delicate leaves of artichokes from meaty heart. Reserve leaves.
- Quarter preserved lemon, and use knife to separate flesh from rind. Squeeze juice from flesh and reserve. Thinly slice peel into strips for garnish.
- In food processor, purée artichoke hearts with some preserved lemon juice (about 1 tablespoon or, to taste). Add olive oil and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
Sear Scallops & Assemble
- Heat medium cast-iron pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to pan. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Working in batches so as not to crowd pan and using more oil as needed, add scallops and sear for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides, or until golden brown and just cooked through. Transfer to serving plate.
- Spoon dollop of artichoke purée on each scallop, then artfully top with a few reserved artichokes leaves. Garnish with a few slices of preserved lemon, squeeze of lemon juice and pinch of Espelette pepper.