Chef Craig Flinn’s Spiced Pear & Rum Raisin LoafRecipe By: Craig Flinn
This spiced and sweet loaf doubles as a great hostess gift for any soirée this season. Chef Craig Flinn partnered with Egg Farmers of Canada and Food Banks Canada for their annual #RecipesThatGive campaign.
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raisins
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp rum extract or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped pear
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Whisk in dry ingredients until smooth. Then, fold in the chopped pear.
- Add the batter to a standard sized 8” x 4” (20 x 10 cm) loaf pan that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray or greased with butter. As an optional garnish, you can sprinkle the top of the batter with an additional 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a cake tester or skewer can be inserted and removed from the middle without appearing “wet” with batter. Leave to rest for 10 minutes. Unmould and allow to cool before slicing.