Chef Dale Mackay’s Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint CookiesRecipe By: Dale Mackay
These festive sweets have the flavors of Christmas in every bite. Chef Dale Mackay partnered with Egg Farmers of Canada and Food Banks Canada for their annual #RecipesThatGive campaign.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 mini candy canes
- 2 egg
- 7 tbsp soft butter
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In stand mixer or if using hand mixer, beat butter for 1 minute. Add egg and vanilla; beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add in all jar contents except for candy canes. Beat until the dough starts to come together, for about 1 minute. Form into ball; knead once or twice until smooth.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- While dough is resting, finely chop up your candy canes for later.
- Roll dough by 1 tablespoon into 18 to 20 balls.
- Place, about 1-inch apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Press a thumb mark in the middle of each ball about halfway down to form wells.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) until no longer shiny, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- When cookies have just come out of the oven, sprinkle each thumbprint well with candy cane pieces.
- Let cool and enjoy.