December 17, 2019
Chef Dale Mackay’s Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 21 to 23 minutes
These festive sweets have the flavors of Christmas in every bite. Chef Dale Mackay partnered with Egg Farmers of Canada and Food Banks Canada for their annual #RecipesThatGive campaign.
Yield: Makes 16 to 20 cookies
- In stand mixer or if using hand mixer, beat butter for 1 minute. Add egg and vanilla; beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add in all jar contents except for candy canes. Beat until the dough starts to come together, for about 1 minute. Form into ball; knead once or twice until smooth.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- While dough is resting, finely chop up your candy canes for later.
- Roll dough by 1 tablespoon into 18 to 20 balls.
- Place, about 1-inch apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Press a thumb mark in the middle of each ball about halfway down to form wells.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) until no longer shiny, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- When cookies have just come out of the oven, sprinkle each thumbprint well with candy cane pieces.
- Let cool and enjoy.