Cherry ClafoutiRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Simple yet elegant, this traditional French dessert combines tart cherries with a sweet flan-like batter.
- 1 lb. sweet cherries, stemmed, pitted
- 1 1⁄2 tsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp pure almond extract
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour, sifted
- Pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream (35%)
- Icing sugar, for garnish
Directions Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cherries and 11⁄2 tsp melted butter in baking dish. Toss to coat. Bake until cherries are tender 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and raise temperature to 375°F.
- Generously butter shallow round or oval baking dish that will fit the cherries in a single layer with some room to spare.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts until combined. Whisk in flour and salt. Slowly whisk in cream. Pour batter into prepared dish. Arrange cherries over top. Bake in upper third of oven until browned at edges and set, 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Dust with icing sugar before serving.