Chewy Meringues With Coconut Cream And Grilled Stone FruitRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Baking at a low temperature for 1 hour yields chewy meringues. If you prefer your meringues to be crispier, turn off the heat after the hour and let them rest in the warm oven for an extra 20 minutes.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 1 15-oz. can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 6 pieces stone fruit, any variation of plums, peaches, nectarines or apricots
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup dried coconut chips
1. Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 275ºF. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Place egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in large clean mixing bowl. Beat on high speed with electric hand mixer until mixture holds soft peaks when beaters are lifted, about 1 minute. Gradually beat in granulated sugar, 1 heaping tbsp at a time. Gradually beat in icing sugar. Continue beating until mixture is very thick and glossy, about 5 minutes in total. Fold in toasted coconut.
3. Spoon into 6 equal heaps, evenly separated, on prepared baking sheet. Gently press down with back of spoon into 3″- to 4″-diam. mounds about 1″ high. Bake for 1 hour or until meringues sound crisp when tapped underneath and are pale golden color. Remove from oven and let cool fully on baking sheet or cooling rack.
Make Coconut Cream
4. Open can of cold coconut milk and scoop solid portion into large bowl. Reserve liquid for another use. Add sugar and beat on high with electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add mascarpone and cream. Beat again until smooth. Stir in lemon zest. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Slice fruit in half and remove pits. Place in bowl and toss with sugar. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Preheat grill to medium, 350ºF to 400ºF. Brush fruit with oil and place on grill, cut sides down. Close lid and cook for 5 minutes or until grill marks appear and fruit is warm. Remove from grill and place in bowl.
6. Place coconut chips in small pan over medium heat. Toast, stirring often, until chips turn golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then finely chop.
7. Plate meringues individually. Dollop Coconut Cream onto each meringue. Slice grilled fruit and serve over cream. Garnish with toasted coconut chips and drizzle with any liquid at bottom of fruit bowl.