November 8, 2017
Chocolate-Dipped Sponge Toffee
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 3 1⁄2 hours, including cooling time
Yield: Makes 7 Cups
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray parchment with cooking oil.
- Combine sugar with water and syrup in large (preferably 5-quart), heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Stir until sugar is moistened.
- Run damp pastry brush along edges of pot to remove any sugar crystals.
- Bring to boil without stirring. As mixture begins to turn golden, gently swirl the pan. Cook until syrup turns golden and reaches 300°F on candy or digital thermometer, 3 to 4 minutes.
Make Sponge Toffee
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in baking soda just until combined. Mixture will bubble vigorously and expand.
- Working quickly, scrape mixture onto parchment-lined tray and let rest untouched (don’t spread with spatula or toffee will deflate). Let rest until cool, 1 to 2 hours.
Crack And Dip Toffee
- Crack sponge toffee into 1″ to 2″ shards and store in airtight container up to 5 days.
- As needed, dip pieces into melted chocolate and transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Let sit 1 to 2 hours or until chocolate has hardened.