Chocolate Malted MeringuesRecipe By: Amy Rosen
A trip to the malt shop for a frozen treat, or a bedtime Horlicks or Ovaltine malted milk are all soothing childhood memories. Now when paired with chocolate, be it in a milkshake or cupcake, a moist delicious layer cake, or a decadently airy meringue, this not-too-sweet treat feels like nostalgia with an adult kick.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp malted powder, like Horlicks
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites in a large, dry, clean bowl. Using an electric beater or stand mixer, whisk until soft peaks form. Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time while continuously beating, leaving 10 seconds between each addition of sugar. Once all the sugar is incorporated and the meringue mixture is firm and glossy, whisk in salt, vanilla and icing sugar. In a small bowl, mix malted powder and cocoa together until smooth, then sprinkle over meringue and gently fold in.
- Form 6 large mounds of meringue using two heaping tbsp of mixture each, spacing them well apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn off oven but do not remove meringues. Let meringues cool completely in oven for at least 1 hour before serving.