September 8, 2015
Panforte (aka panaforte) is an Italian Christmas treat that’s now enjoyed year-round. Dark, soft and chewy, this Chocolate Panforte tastes almost candy-like.
Yield: Makes about 60 pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Finely chop all fruit. Mix with nuts, flour, cocoa and cinnamon.
- Butter a 9” square pan. Line bottom with parchment or waxed paper.
- Gently melt chocolate in double boiler.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring honey and sugar to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Pour honey mixture and melted chocolate into bowl of dry ingredients. Mix well with wooden spoon. Scrape into lined pan and press down with back of spoon.
- Bake about 20 minutes. Cool until easily handled, and slice while warm into 1/4” thick pieces about 4” long (do not allow panforte to cool completely before slicing, or cutting will be difficult).
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.