Cumin-Roasted Carrots With Farro, Kale And A Side of LambRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp dried chilis
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes in their juices
- 1 large bunch kale, ribs removed, sliced, about 6 cups
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 tbsp currants
- 1 1⁄2 lb. heirloom carrots, peeled if desired
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 8-bone lamb loin rack, frenched, about 1 lb.
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1⁄2 tsp chopped garlic
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook 6 to 8 min or until golden.
- Add garlic, paprika, coriander, fennel seeds and chilis and cook until fragrant, about 1 min. Add farro and stir until coated. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 25 min or until farro is al dente. Stir in kale, cilantro and currants. Cover again and cook 5 min or until kale is wilted. Taste for seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Slice carrots in half lengthwise or into quarters if large. Place on large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with cumin, season with salt and pepper, then rub with hands to ensure carrots are coated. Bake 15 to 20 min or until carrots are tender.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in oven-proof skillet over high heat. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Add lamb to pan and cook 3 min per side, or until browned.
- Transfer skillet to oven (at 425°F) with carrots and cook for 10 to 12 min or until thermometer reads 150°F for medium rare. Remove from oven and let rest 10 min. Mix remaining 2 tbsp oil with mint and garlic. Reserve.
- Spoon generous portions of farro onto 4 plates and top with roasted carrots. Slice lamb chops and serve 2 on the side, drizzled with garlic-mint oil.