DJ BBQ’s Whole Harissa Roasted CauliflowerRecipe By: Christian Stevenson
Try this Whole Harissa Roasted Cauliflower recipe from the cookbook Fire Food.
This recipe makes a tasty main event or side dish and is great for your vegetarian friends.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 100 ml harissa paste (shop-bought or homemade, see below)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 8–10 red chillies
- 2 chipotle chillies
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes (isot pul biber flakes are the best)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground caraway seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
Directions Yield: Serves 6 as a side
- First, we need to make the harissa paste. Blitz all the paste ingredients in a blender. Boom! You made harissa paste. Or be lazy and go buy a jar or can of the stuff.
- Get your outdoor cooker to 150–160°C (300–320°F). Add your seasoned wood chunks to the coals.
- Put a large saucepan of water on the direct heat and bring to a boil. Par-boil the cauliflower head for 4–5 minutes. Drain and place the cauliflower on a chopping board. Use a spatula to slather the head with the harissa paste. Go heavy for full-on spiciness or lightly for just a hint of a kick.
- Place the cauliflower over the heat canyon on the indirect heat, and put the lid on the cooker. Hot roast for 45–60 minutes until the cauliflower goes dark red and tender.
- When it’s done, pull it off and slice into 2.5 cm (1-inch) thick steaks. Squeeze lemon juice all over, season and finish with the chopped mint.