Donna Hay’s S’moresRecipe By: Donna Hay
Try this recipe for Smores from Donna Hay’s new cookbook, Basics To Brilliance.
- 1 x batch Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 11 squares dark chocolate
- 11 white marshmallows
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 200 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white (granulated) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp table salt
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes 22)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the butter and both the sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat for 8 minutes or until pale and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla, milk and egg and beat for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and beat until combined.
- Add the chocolate and stir to combine.
- Roll heaped tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Leave 2–3cm between each ball of cookie dough to allow for spreading in the oven. Bake for 12–14 minutes or until golden brown. Cookies should be golden around the edges with even coloring on the base when they’re ready.
- Allow to cool on the trays for 5 minutes before transferring onto wire racks to cool.
TIP: If you’re baking more than one tray of cookies at a time, swap their shelf positions in the oven halfway through cooking time to ensure even coloring.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange the cookies, base-side up, on lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Place 1 square of chocolate on each of half the cookies. Place the marshmallows on the remaining cookies. Bake for 1–2 minutes or until the chocolate is melted and the marshmallows have softened. Sandwich the marshmallow cookies with the chocolate cookies to serve.