Earl Grey ShortiesRecipe By: Stephanie Duong & Bruce Lee
These delicate and delicious shortbread sandwich cookies are lightly flavored with Earl Grey tea leaves. Use a highly flavored tea for the best results. If you have a silicone baking mat with a textured surface, roll your dough out on the mat to “stamp” a simple design on top of your cookies.
Earl Grey Shortbread
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 150 g (about 1 1⁄2 cups) sifted icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Earl Grey tea leaves, finely crushed
- 520 g (4 cups) all-purpose flour
- Zest from 1 small orange
White Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 425 g white chocolate, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 100 g good-quality candied orange rind, chopped into small pieces
Plan Ahead: Dough needs to chill for 1 hour before cutting out rounds, and filling needs about 2 hours to set.
- In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter, icing sugar, salt and tea leaves.
- Add in flour and orange zest, and mix until just combined.
- Lay 2 pieces of plastic wrap on countertop and divide dough between them. Wrap balls and flatten into discs. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm but pliable.
- In medium heatproof bowl, add chocolate. In small pot, add cream and bring just to a boil. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit for 2 minutes. Stir with rubber spatula until fully melted and uniform, then transfer to shallow container to set (this will take about 2 hours at room temperature).
Bake & Fill Cookies
- Heat oven to 325°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Working with one disc at a time, roll out dough on lightly floured surface to about 3 mm thick and use a 5 cm round cookie cutter to cut out circles of dough. Return dough to fridge if necessary, making sure it’s cold at all times. Gather and re-roll scraps, as needed.
- Bake cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges are lightly golden. Do not overbake. Transfer cookies to rack to cool completely.
- Spoon thickened filling into piping bag and pipe generous amount onto middle of one cookie. Place 4 to 5 pieces of candied orange rind in center and sandwich with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.