November 22, 2019
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
These crisp and lightly spiced cookies are studded with sliced almonds. Cut them into rectangles or into whatever shape you desire. It’s essential to make sure your dough is the same thickness throughout, or your cookies will bake at different rates. Let this cookie get deeply golden for the best flavor. If you can’t find small eggs, just beat large eggs and weigh out the quantity needed.
Yield: Makes about 75 cookies
Plan Ahead: Dough needs to chill for 1 hour before cutting out shapes.
Make Frollini Cannella
- In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and allspice, and stir until uniform. Reserve.
- In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and beat until dough is smooth.
- Lay 2 pieces of plastic wrap on countertop and divide dough between them. Wrap and flatten into rectangle shapes. Chill for 1 hour, or until firm but pliable.
- Heat oven to 370°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Working with one piece at a time, roll out dough on lightly floured surface into rectangle about 3 mm thick. Use ruler and pizza cutter to cut dough into rectangles about 7.5 cm long x 5 cm wide. Gather and re-roll any scraps, as needed. Transfer cut-out cookies to prepared baking sheet with about 2.5 cm of space between them, and sprinkle with sliced almonds (it isn’t necessary to press them in).
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 10 to 14 minutes, or until deeply golden. Let cool on tray before removing to rack to cool completely. Transfer cooled cookies to airtight container. Cookies will keep for 2 weeks.