Eggplant Wedges With Ginger-Chili DipRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Long, thin and light purple in colour — Japanese eggplants are sweeter and less seedy than traditional globe eggplants. Try this tasty and traditional veggie recipe, with the help of House & Home, tonight.
- Dip 1⁄4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp Korean red pepper powder (gochugaru)
- 3 Japanese eggplants (about 8 oz. each)
- Vegetable oil (for brushing)
- Salt to taste
Directions Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- To make dip, whisk together all ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to ramekin. Cover and set aside.
- Trim and discard eggplant stems. Cut eggplant into quarters lengthwise. Cut each quarter in half crosswise.
- Line a heavy-duty baking tray with foil. Brush foil with oil. Place eggplant on tray, cut-sides-up. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place oven rack 6″ from broiler. Preheat broiler on low. Broil eggplant until golden brown and tender, 10 to 12 minutes. (Keep a close eye on it.) Arrange eggplant in bowl or platter and serve with dip.