November 26, 2019
Frenchified Latkes With Chive Sour Cream
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
“You don’t have to be Jewish to love these crispy potato pancakes!,” says Queer Eye‘s culinary expert, Antoni Porowski. “I French mine up by adding nutty Comté or Gruyère and serving them with spoonfuls of Chive Sour Cream.”
Yield: Serves 8
Make Chive Sour Cream
- In small bowl, stir together all Chive Sour Cream ingredients. Reserve.
- Heat oven to 200°F and line plate with paper towels.
- Peel potatoes, then coarsely grate. Do the same with onion. Wrap vegetables together in clean kitchen towel and squeeze out water.
- In large bowl, stir together potato mixture, cheese, egg, thyme, 3⁄4 teaspoons of salt and the pepper.
- In large skillet, heat 1⁄4-inch of oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. (You can test the heat with a shred of potato before you begin frying; when the oil is ready, the potato shred will sizzle and bubble on contact.)
- Working in batches, spoon about 2 tablespoons of potato mixture into pan for each latke, gently pressing down with spatula to flatten. Reduce heat to medium and fry, turning once, until latkes are golden and crisp on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain, then season with salt. Place on baking sheet and keep warm in oven while frying remaining batches. Serve latkes warm with Chive Sour Cream.