Gingerbread SquaresRecipe By: Amy Rosen
Soft on the inside with a crackly finish on top, these gingerbread squares are packed with dried fruit and warm, bold spices. They’re the ideal holiday treat with a pot of tea.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 ½ tbsp brewed regular coffee
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped candied ginger
- 2 tbsp icing sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 9″ x 9″ baking pan. Cream butter with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, molasses and coffee until well blended.
2. Mix or sift dry ingredients together, then stir into wet batter. Mix in fruit. Press batter (it will be sticky) into buttered pan.
3. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until just starting to crackle on top. Slice into squares, let cool, then dust with icing sugar.