November 22, 2019
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
This is a delicious and satisfying cookie that’s very simple to make! If you want to keep the sugar content down, don’t roll the cookies in icing sugar. Decorate instead by pressing a whole almond into the center of each cookie before baking.
Yield: Makes 24 amaretti
Roast & Grind Hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place hazelnuts on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until hazelnuts are very lightly toasted and skins have begun to split.
- Pour into clean kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove skins. Let cool. In food processor, add hazelnuts and pulse until finely ground.
- Reduce temperature to 345°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine ground hazelnuts, almonds, icing sugar and cocoa powder, and mix until uniform. Add egg whites and mix until dough is evenly moistened.
- In separate bowl, add about 1 cup of icing sugar. Using scoop or spoon, form dough balls about 2.5 cm in diameter. In batches, roll dough balls in icing sugar and transfer to sieve to shake off excess.
- Place amaretti on baking sheet with about 5 cm of space between them. Flatten cookies slightly, then flip over so evenly flat side is facing up.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 18 minutes, or until amaretti rise and crack. Let cool fully. Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in freezer for up to 1 month. Let come to room temperature before serving.