ZhougRecipe By: Chef Adam Hynam-Smith
This spicy blend of cilantro, chilis, garlic and caraway is a Middle Eastern condiment used most commonly in Israel and Yemen.
- 2 tsp caraway seeds, toasted
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 red bird’s-eye chili, stem removed
- 3 tbsp cold water
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Using mortar and pestle, finely crush caraway seeds. Set aside at room temperature.
- In blender, combine cilantro, garlic, chili and water. Purée until smooth. Transfer mixture to bowl. Add crushed caraway seeds and mix well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use immediately or transfer to airtight container, cover surface with plastic wrap, and store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Tip: Save the leftover zhoug! This versatile, pesto-like condiment goes well with lamb, chicken and beef, and will give your wraps and sandwiches a tasty zing.