Mimi Thorisson’s Salted Butter Chocolate CakeRecipe By: Mimi Thorisson
Try this recipe for Salted Butter Chocolate Cake from French food blogger Mimi Thorisson’s cookbook, French Country Cooking: Meals And Moments From A Village In The Vineyards.
- 6 ½ tbsp salted butter, plus more for the pan
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 large egg
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp fleur de sel
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A handful of red berries or currants (optional)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for serving
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- Pour an inch or two of water into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Combine the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set on top of the pan of simmering water. Stir until the butter and chocolate are melted. Remove from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. In another bowl, sift the flour and add the fleur de sel.
- Stir the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Add the vanilla. Fold in the flour until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for at least 1 hour before unmolding. Serve topped with berries, if desired, and a sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar.