Oyster And Clam BBQRecipe By: Fred Morin
If you can’t get your hands on littleneck clams, nice plump mussels are also a good choice. You will need enough chicken wire to cover your barbecue grill for this recipe.
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 4 French shallots, chopped
- 2 sprigs tarragon, picked and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp absinthe or anise-flavored spirit
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 12 meaty oysters, such as the B.C. beach oyster
- 12 littleneck clams
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high, or prepare hardwood or charcoal fire. Cover grill loosely with chicken wire to hold oysters and clams securely.
Make Tarragon-Shallot Butter
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in small pot over medium heat. Add shallots and sweat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add remaining butter, tarragon, garlic, olive oil, absinthe and hot sauce. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Grill Oysters And Clams
- Shuck oysters and clams, and discard top shells. Nestle oysters and clams in chicken wire. Drizzle tarragon-shallot butter overtop and season with salt and pepper. Cook until oysters and clams have plumped up and are cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to serving tray. Serve.