Quick Charred Cabbage SaladRecipe By: Fred Morin
This cabbage salad makes a perfect summer side dish — but as an alternative, you could add a chicken thigh or a few scallops and call it dinner.
- 6 tender shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large carrot, cut in matchsticks
- 6 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp each fresh cilantro and mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 savoy cabbage
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Remove stems from mushrooms and discard. Slice mushrooms thinly. Heat butter in pan over medium-high and sauté mushrooms until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Add 1⁄4 cup olive oil, carrot, vinegar, cilantro, mint, sesame seeds, ginger, maple syrup and sesame oil to bowl. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Cut cabbage into 8 to 12 wedges. Toss in remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill cabbage, turning as needed, until slightly charred and tender-crisp, about 10 minutes. Add hot cabbage to bowl with mushrooms and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.