April 16, 2018
Pasta Rags With Pan-Roasted Mushrooms And Miso Butter
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
The reserved pasta cooking water is the secret to emulsifying the sauce. Be sure to use unsalted butter, as miso is inherently salty.
Yield: Serves 4
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tbsp butter. Tear mushrooms into pieces and add to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until mushrooms are golden. Reserve.
- In saucepan, combine remaining butter and miso, and melt. The miso will clump; this is normal. Keep sauce warm.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Cut strips of pasta into varying shapes, creating “rags.”
- Cook until al dente, 2 to 3 minutes. Scoop out 3⁄4 cup cooking water and reserve. Drain pasta.
- Gradually whisk pasta water into butter-miso sauce until emulsified and smooth. Keep on low heat.
- Return pasta to pot over low heat. Drizzle half the sauce over pasta rags and toss to coat. Add more sauce to taste.
- Add mushrooms and half the hazelnuts. Toss until heated through.
- Divide pasta between 4 plates. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts, add a few cracks of black pepper and serve.