Plum CrostataRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Crackling with coarse sugar and perfumed with vanilla, this gorgeous tart is surprisingly easy to prepare.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp fine seasalt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold, grated
- 3 tbsp milk, cold
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
- 1 1⁄2 lb. plums
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar
- 1 tsp unsalted butter, cold
- Vanilla or honey yogurt, for serving
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- To make crust, place all ingredients except milk in mixing bowl. Combine with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in milk with fork. Bring together to form ball — do not overwork. Form dough into 1″-thick circle. Wrap with plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
- To make filling, combine granulated sugar and flour in mixing bowl. Split vanilla bean in half. Scrape seeds into bowl. (Save pods for another use.) Stir to distribute vanilla. Halve and pit plums. Cut into thick wedges. Toss plums in sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On floured work surface, roll dough to 13″-diam. circle. Place on parchment-lined baking tray. Arrange plum slices on dough leaving 2″ border. Fold excess dough over plums. Brush pastry with egg. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Slice butter thinly. Place on top of plums.
- Bake on bottom shelf until crust is golden and fruit is bubbling, 35 minutes. (Move tray to upper rack if bottom of tart is browning too quickly.) Serve warm or at room temperature with yogurt.