October 21, 2021
Polenta With Butternut Squash, Swiss Chard & Mascarpone
“With a mix of tender butternut squash, Swiss chard and mascarpone, this heavenly concoction appears elaborate but it’s an absolute breeze to pull together,” says celebrity chef Lynn Crawford of her polenta dish (below). Find more delicious family style recipes in Lynn Crawford and her partner Lora Kirk’s new cookbook Hearth & Home.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In large bowl, toss butternut squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread squash in even layer on prepared baking sheet and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan, combine water and 2 cups of milk and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly pour in polenta in even stream, whisking continuously, and cook, whisking, until polenta begins to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until polenta is thick and creamy, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add cheddar cheese, cream cheese and Parmesan, and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
Cook Swiss Chard Mixture & Serve
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter, shallots, garlic, capers and anchovies, if using. Stir together for 1 minute, until shallots and garlic have softened. Add Swiss chard, rosemary and roasted squash and toss together. Season with salt and pepper.
- In small bowl, combine mascarpone and remaining 3 tbsp of milk and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon polenta onto serving platter. Top with squash mixture and mascarpone mixture.
Author: Recipes excerpted from Hearth & Home by Lynn Crawford and Lora Kirk. ©2021 by Lynn Crawford and Lora Kirk. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved
House & Home October 2021