Pulled-Chicken Tacos With Pineapple Salsa And Pickled OnionRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Once you get a taste of these vibrant pickled onions, you’ll always want a jar in the fridge to put on anything between two slices of bread.
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup red wine
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 1½ cups sliced red onion, packed
- 2 cups pineapple, diced
- 1 fresh long red chili, seeded, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 chicken legs
- ½ cup good-quality barbecue sauce
- 12 6″corn or flour tortillas
- Cilantro leaves (for garnish)
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- To make pickled onions, bring vinegar, wine, sugar and salt to boil in a saucepan. Add onion and cook 30 seconds. Transfer to clean 500-mL glass jar. Set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate. Drain before using.
- To make salsa, mix all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Place in roasting pan. Roast until cooked through, 45 to 60 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove meat, discarding skin, fat and bones. Pull meat into thick shreds. Place chicken and barbecue sauce in large skillet over medium heat. Stir until hot, 6 to 8 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Warm tortillas by grilling each 5 seconds per side, or microwaving in a stack, covered, for 20 to 30 seconds on high. Lay tortillas out on counter and divide chicken among them. Top with salsa, pickled onion and a few cilantro leaves.