Pulled Jackfruit TacosRecipe By: Eshun Mott
Total Time: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Skip the work of preparing it fresh and reach for canned jackfruit in brine — it will save you time and mess.
- 2 565 g cans of young green jackfruit in brine, drained
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato passata (liquid purée)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp redwine vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped canned chipotle chili in adobo
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Toppings such as shredded cabbage, sliced radish, pickled red onion, cilantro, grilled corn salsa and
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Trim firmer, pointed end from each piece of jackfruit. Push out and discard any seeds. Set aside.
- In Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano, and sauté for 1 minute. Add passata, water, vinegar, chipotle chili, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Add jackfruit and stir to submerge. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until jackfruit is slightly broken down and flavorful, and liquid has taken on sauce consistency. Season with salt, to taste.
- Turn broiler on high. Line baking sheet with foil and lightly brush with oil. Spread jackfruit filling on foil and broil for 3 minutes, or until caramelized. Serve in corn tortillas with desired toppings