Pumpkin, Chestnut & Chorizo SoupRecipe By: Cory Vitiello
Total Time: 60 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1 dried ancho chili
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped white onion
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 sticks celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced dry Spanish chorizo
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1⁄4 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled fresh sheep’s milk cheese
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Good-quality olive oil for drizzling
Directions Yield: Serves 6
Prepare Ancho Chili
- Soak chili in 3 cups boiling water 10 minutes.
- Drain. Remove and discard seeds and stem.
Assemble And Cook Vegetables, Chorizo And Seasonings
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and chorizo, and cook 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to sweat and soften.
- Add thyme, cumin, coriander seed and fennel seed, and cook 1 more minute or until fragrant.
- Add pumpkin, chestnuts, saffron, tomatoes, chicken broth and vinegar, plus soaked ancho chili. Bring to simmer and cook until vegetables are tender and soup is flavorful, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Blend Soup And Serve
- Using immersion blender, pulse to coarse, semi-chunky texture.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with crumbled cheese, toasted pumpkin seeds and drizzle of olive oil.