Oven-Fried Chipotle Wings
- 2 canned chipotles in adobo
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, diced
- 4 lb. chicken wings, tips removed, separated at joints
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely grated lime zest, for serving
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- To make sauce, place chipotles, adobo, vinegar, honey and cumin in blender. Purée until smooth. Transfer to small saucepan.
- To make chicken, preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 baking trays with foil. Place cooling racks on each tray. Brush racks with oil.
- Place chicken wings in large bowl. Pat dry with paper towel. Toss with ancho, baking powder, salt and pepper. Arrange chicken on cooling racks, skin side up. Bake 30 minutes, rotating trays at halfway point. Raise oven to 425°F. Continue baking until chicken is brown and crisp, another 40 to 45 minutes, rotating trays at halfway point.
- When chicken is almost done, place sauce over medium-low heat. When hot, whisk in butter 1 tbsp at a time until emulsified.
- Place wings in large mixing bowl. Drizzle with sauce. Mix until evenly coated. Transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle with lime zest.