March 8, 2022
Roasted Broccolini with Romesco Sauce and Pecorino
Try this Roasted Broccolini with Romesco Sauce and Pecorino recipe from the new cookbook, Island Eats: Signature Chefs’ Recipes from Vancouver Island and the Salish Sea.
The roasted broccolini from Boom + Batten’s Matt Cusano is delicious on its own, but the tangy romesco sauce puts it over the top. Great served as an appetizer or as a side to steak, chicken, fish—just about anything.
Yield: Serves 4 (as a side dish)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place red peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, until peppers are blistered and dark.
- Place peppers in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place tomato halves in a separate bowl, uncovered, and set aside to cool. Reserve any pan juices.
- Gently remove tomato skin and discard. Repeat with red peppers, and then remove the stems and seeds. Roughly chop tomatoes. Again, reserve any juices.
- In a blender, combine tomatoes and peppers, with any reserved juices, and the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until smooth. Set sauce aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large bowl, combine broccolini, 1/4 cup oil and salt and pepper. Toss well, then space out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and thyme and sauté for 1 minute, then stir in panko crumbs and paprika. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until panko crumbs turn light brown. Transfer mixture to a bowl, add lemon zest and stir.
- Spoon a generous amount of romesco sauce onto the centre of each plate and use the back of the spoon to spread evenly in a circle. Stack broccolini high on the plate, then sprinkle Pecorino Romano and toasted panko overtop.
Excerpted from Island Eats: Signature Chefs’ Recipes from Vancouver Island and the Salish Sea by Dawn Postnikoff and Joanne Sasvari. Photographs by Gabriel Cabrera and Danika McDowell. Recipes copyright © 2021 by individual restaurants. Excerpted with permission from Figure 1 Publishing. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.