September 1, 2022
Roasted Delicata Squash with Sage Salsa Verde
“Delicata squash is one of the only squashes that does not keep throughout the entire winter and is truly best eaten in the fall. Some may say this makes it extra special. The squash can be cut into beautiful rings that look like elegant flowers and can be presented as such on the dinner table. The delicata’s sweet flesh is light and surprisingly happy when paired with a sauce made of toasted sage leaves—an ideal sweet-savory balance.” – Deirdre Buryk, cookbook author
Yield: Serves 4
- In a small skillet over medium-high, heat the olive oil. Once the oil begins to sizzle, add the sage leaves. Cook until the sage leaves crisp up, 2 to 3 minutes. Keep a watchful eye on the sage because it can burn easily and become bitter, so stir often to avoid this. Once cooked, transfer the sage leaves into a mortar. Add the salt and begin to stamp the leaves with the pestle to form a crumbly texture. Add the cilantro, shallots, and vinegar and muddle until everything is well combined. Taste and season with more salt as needed. Set aside for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the squashes in half crosswise (along the equator). This will reserve the squashes’ beautiful flower-like shape. Use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds and pith from the squash halves. Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut the squashes into ½-inch (1 cm) round flower- shaped slices.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss the squash with the oil, salt, and pepper. Evenly distribute the squash on the prepared baking sheet. To roast the squash evenly, avoid overcrowding the sheet (use two lined baking sheets if necessary). Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, flipping the squash midway through, until browned and soft on the inside. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Plate the squash, garnish with the salsa verde, and serve.
Excerpted from Peak Season by Deirdre Buryk. Copyright © 2022 Deirdre Buryk. Photography © 2021 Deirdre Buryk and Janette Downie. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.