November 16, 2020
Savory Swiss Chard & Mushroom Bundles
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
If you like, prep the filling for these Savory Swiss Chard & Mushroom Bundles a day ahead of time, blanch the leaves and assemble while the turkey is roasting. Then, put them in the oven to heat through while the turkey is resting. For best results, look for swiss chard with large leaves.
Yield: Serves 8 to 10
Prepare & Cook Filling
- Cover porcini mushrooms with ½ cup of boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain (reserving liquid) and finely chop. Set aside.
- Select 10 largest leaves of swiss chard. Cut off stem even with bottom of leaf. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add chard leaves and blanch for 30 seconds, or until wilted. Drain and refresh with ice water. Drain and set aside.
- Separate rest of chard leaves from stems (including coarse midrib) and chop, keeping leaves and stems separate (you should have about 12 cups chopped leaves and 3½ cups chopped stems).
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in large frying pan on medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes, or until softened. Add leeks and sauté for 2 more minutes. Turn heat to high, add 1 tbsp more oil and chard stems. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until stems are tender and lightly golden. Season with salt and pepper, and scrape into bowl. Reserve.
- Heat dry pan on medium-high and, working in batches, add chopped leaves to pan and cook for 1 minute, or until fully wilted. Add to cooked stem mixture.
- Over high heat, add remaining 2 tbsp of oil to pan. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated. Add garlic and chopped porcini mushrooms, and sauté for 1 more minute, or until flavors have come together. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Scrape into bowl with cooked chard.
Assemble Bundles & Serve
- Lay leaves out on cutting board and make V cut in leaf to remove most of coarser midrib. Pull 2 sides of leaf together to overlap cut.
- Add about ½ cup of stuffing to leaf and roll up, folding in sides to enclose. Repeat until you have 8 to 10 bundles.
- Place in shallow baking dish and pour in reserved mushroom soaking water. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Cover with foil and bake at 325°F for 20 minutes, or until bundles are heated through.
House & Home November 2020