November 16, 2020
Cornbread & Oyster Dressing
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
For this Cornbread & Oyster Dressing, you can bake the cornbread ahead of time, if you like (it freezes well). If you prefer to buy premade cornbread, look for one with very little sugar. You will need about 800 grams.
Yield: Serves 8
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease 8″ square pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and chili powder and stir with fork to blend. Add eggs and buttermilk, and stir until just combined. Add butter and stir until uniform. Scrape into prepared pan and bake for 22 minutes, or until set and lightly golden. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In bowl, crumble cornbread into 1″ pieces and smaller. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and toss with cornbread to coat. On baking sheet, spread out in single layer and bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly dried and crisped at edges. Set aside.
- Heat frying pan on medium heat. Add bacon and sauté for 8 minutes, or until crisp. Using slotted spoon, remove from pan.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil to pan. Over medium-high heat, add onions and fennel, and sauté for 8 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden. Add garlic and chili flakes, and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Scrape into bowl. Add green onion, parsley, sage, thyme and oysters with their liquid. Add reserved cornbread and eggs, and toss until just combined. Add enough stock to moisten and season well with salt and pepper.
- Oil 8″ x 10″ or similar volume baking dish and fill with stuffing. Cover with foil and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes, or until heated through and crisped on top.