August 7, 2018
Sous Vide Harissa Carrots With Crispy Chickpeas
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/4 hours
If you can’t fit all the carrots into one freezer bag, use a second bag and add 3 tablespoons of oil and 1⁄2 teaspoon of both salt and sugar to the recipe. Make sure that the carrots lay flat so they’re evenly exposed to the heat. If the bag floats, use a stainless steel spoon or spatula to keep it submerged.
Yield: Serves 4
- Fill an 8-quart pot three-quarters full with warm water. Submerge sous vide machine in pot and heat water to 176°F.
- Peel carrots and place in freezer bag. Add 3 tbsp oil, sugar and salt and rub to coat, then flatten carrots into single layer. Leave bag unsealed.
- When water has come to temperature, sink all but top of bag in water to let air escape. Clip unsealed bag to side of pot. Cook for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Drain chickpeas and rinse with cold water. Lay on paper towels to dry thoroughly.
- Place chickpeas on baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper and stir to coat.
- Bake chickpeas for 30 to 35 minutes, or until crispy and golden, shaking the tray every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle immediately with paprika, cumin and generous amount of salt and pepper. Shake tray to coat, then allow chickpeas to cool.
- In bowl, mix yogurt with garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and harissa paste, and stir until paste is loosened.
- Remove carrots from freezer bag and add to pan. Stir until coated in mixture and warmed through.
Assemble And Serve
- Spoon yogurt mixture into 4 wide bowls, then divide carrots evenly.
- Top each serving with 2 heaping tbsp chickpeas and mint leaves. Drizzle with more olive oil, if desired.