October 3, 2023
Spiced Berry Beret Cocktail
“An explosion of berry flavors paired with reposado tequila, this Sangria-inspired punch is too good to last the entire party! My mother used to make Sangria with cinnamon infused orange juice, cassis, and boxed wine. While I always thought it was an amazing party trick, I never admitted that to her. So, this is an ode to my mother, and the many pitchers of Sangria I snuck a taste from. Have fun and make lots of substitutions—anything goes with this one.” – Evelyn Chick
Yield: 10 cocktails
Make Vanilla Agave Syrup
- Mix pure agave nectar with 1/4 cup of hot water in non-reactive container. Whisk until well integrated. Add bourbon vanilla extract and whisk again.
- Bottle and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Make Acid Adjusted Pineapple Juice
- Add pineapple juice and citric acid to a high-powered blender. Pulse 2 to 3 times to dissolve citric acid. Bottle and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Make Spiced Berry Beret
- In a large punch bowl (at least 128 oz in volume), combine mixed berries, tequila, and wine. Take a wooden spoon and gently mash the berries and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Add cinnamon sticks, orange slices, syrup, and acid adjusted pineapple juice and give it a stir.
- Add a large ice chunk or a couple of large ice cubes and pour in the soda. Serve immediately by ladling the cocktail into rocks glasses filled with ice.
Excerpted from For the Love of Cocktails: The Everyday Guide to Delightful Drinks for Anyone, Anytime by Evelyn Chick. Photography by Jessica Blaine Smith. © 2023 by Evelyn Chick. Recipes © 2023 by Evelyn Chick. Excerpted with permission from Figure 1 Publishing. All rights reserved