Spicy, Crunchy Shrimp With Honey-Soy Dipping SauceRecipe By: Amy Rosen
Crunchy, savory, salty and spicy, this dish has it all — and the sweetness in the dipping sauce makes it a perfectly balanced starter. For best results, be sure to fry the shrimp fresh and serve them at once.
Honey-Soy Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
Spicy, Crunchy Shrimp
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ cups or 1 355-mL can cold club soda
- Peanut or vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 450 g (8 to 12) raw, easy-peel tiger shrimp, peeled but tails left on
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 fresh long red chilies, stems removed, seeded and sliced lengthwise into quarters
- To make dipping sauce, whisk together soy, honey, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Cover and chill until using.
- For batter, mix together flour, cornstarch, salt and ½ tsp red pepper flakes. Whisk in cold soda water until batter is just smooth (don’t overmix). Heat oil in a large wok, pot or deep-fryer to 350ºF. You can test the temperature of the oil with a small bread cube: when it browns in 15 seconds, the oil temperature is just right.
- Pat shrimp dry, then toss with fish sauce. Working in 2 batches, dip shrimp in batter then fry in hot oil until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes. Carefully remove with tongs or spider strainer, and drain on paper towel. Batter chili strands and fry in same oil. Mix chilies with shrimp. Serve with dipping sauce.