Tahini FlatbreadRecipe By: Philip Haddad
If you don’t have a stand mixer, just knead the dough on the counter for 8 to 10 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic. This flatbread can also be grilled or fried, if preferred.
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup good-quality tahini
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- In stand mixer with hook attachment, add water, tahini, yeast and sugar. Allow yeast to dissolve.
- Turn mixer to low and gradually add flour until dough comes together. Once shaggy dough forms, add salt and increase speed to medium for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to lightly oiled bowl and turn dough to ensure it’s covered with oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until it doubles.
Make Dough Balls
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and divide into 4 equal portions. Working 1 piece at a time, fold edges of dough underneath, pinching the bottom to seal. Cup dough in hand and pull along counter, seam-side down, until it forms a smooth ball.
- Place dough balls on baking sheet, seam-side down. Cover with clean tea towel and let rise another 45 minutes.
- Place baking stone or baking steel on baking sheet on lowest shelf of oven and preheat to 450ºF.
- On lightly floured surface, gently flatten each dough ball into an 8″ round. Transfer dough to baking stone or baking steel in oven and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until dough puffs up. Flip and cook another minute. Serve warm with hummus.