Tandoori-Style ChickenRecipe By: Claire Tansey
Store-bought curry pastes are a brilliant shortcut. Here, traditional tandoori chicken gets a modern update — no more red food colouring. Skinless, boneless chicken cooks quickly and makes for a neater presentation, but if you prefer, use skinless, bone-in pieces and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Balkan-style yogurt
- 3 tbsp medium or hot curry paste, such as Patak’s
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedges
- Fresh chilies (optional)
- Combine yogurt, curry paste, turmeric and cinnamon in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken, seal the bag and work the marinade into the meat. Refrigerate four to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet (or two) with foil and place a rack on top. Remove chicken pieces from marinade, allowing marinade to cling to meat. Season chicken well with salt and place on rack. Bake 15 minutes, flip chicken pieces and bake another 15 to 25 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Remove chicken from oven and turn oven to broil. Adjust oven rack so chicken sits about 6″ below the broiler. Broil 5 to 8 minutes, watching carefully, until chicken pieces are charred in spots. Serve with lime wedges and fresh chilies, if desired.