February 9, 2022
Tomato, Bacon and Blue Cheese Pan Pizza
I played around a lot with chef J. Kenji López-Alt’s no-knead pizza dough during quarantine. This is a deep-dish version of my favorite slice from Pizza Bono in Plattsburgh, N.Y. Substitute 1 lb. storebought pizza dough for a quick shortcut.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- The night before, in medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add 215 mL of water and 1½ tsp olive oil, mixing by hand until no dry flour remains. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit on counter overnight.
- In the morning, scrape dough onto lightly floured surface and roll tightly into ball. Place on floured tray covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator and chill for 4 to 10 hours.
- Grease 12″ cast-iron skillet or 9″ x 13″ metal pan with remaining olive oil. Stretch dough to fit pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 500°F after 45 minutes.
Add Toppings And Bake Pizza
- After dough rises, gently deflate any large bubbles, then cover to edges with blue cheese dressing. Top with mozzarella, bacon, tomatoes and blue cheese (if using).
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until top is golden and bubbling, and bottom is browned. Let cool for 5 minutes before topping with parsley, cutting and serving.