Tortilla EspañolaRecipe By: Victor Dries
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Victor Dries uses a deep fryer to make easy work of cooking the potatoes for the tortilla, but here we’ve adapted the process for home use.
Potato & Egg Mixture
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 1⁄2 lbs. to yield 3 cups sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced onion
- 14 large eggs, beaten well
- Extra-virgin olive oil, smoked Spanish paprika, sliced roasted red peppers, chopped parsley
Directions Yield: Serves 8 to 10
Prepare & Fry Potatoes
- Peel potatoes. Using mandoline or sharp knife, slice potatoes into 2 mm-thick slices, then cut slices crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces.
- Heat oil in 10-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add potatoes, season with salt and cook for 6 minutes, stirring, or until potatoes are tender but not quite cooked through. With slotted spoon, remove from pan.
- To same pan add onions and sauté for 4 minutes, or until soft but not browned. Return potatoes to pan and stir to combine.
- Add beaten eggs, season well with salt and pepper, and mix constantly over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they look like runny scrambled eggs. Stir so they are evenly incorporated into potatoes and onions, and let cook for
5 minutes, or until a light brown crust forms on bottom and top is softly set.
- Run rubber spatula around edge of pan to loosen. Place plate on top of tortilla and carefully flip out, then slide back into pan, browned-side up. Using spatula, flatten tortilla into even layer and press edges into uniform round shape. Cook for 5 more minutes, then flip out and let cool.
- To serve, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with smoked paprika and chopped parsley, top with roasted red peppers and slice into pieces.