July 30, 2015
Ask a Chef: Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich
Chef Roy Oh from Naju in Calgary shares his recipe for Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich.
Q: I was recently at Naju in Calgary and fell in love with the Korean fried chicken sandwich. Can you get the recipe? – R.M., Vancouver
A: The kicky gochujang glaze is what sets this dish apart. Tucked into a soft burger bun along with crunchy lettuce and creamy Kewpie mayo, this will be your go-to summer sandwich.
Yield: Serves 4
- Add oil to 2″ depth in medium pot. Heat oil to 375 °F.
- To make glaze, mix all ingredients together in bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make chicken, in separate bowl whisk together egg and buttermilk. Pour flour in shallow bowl. Trim fat from thighs, leaving skin on. Dip chicken thighs in flour, then egg mixture, then back into flour. Working in batches, add coated chicken thighs to oil and fry 6 to 8 minutes total, or until golden brown and juices run clear.
- Spread buns with butter and then mayo. Place lettuce leaf on bottom of each bun.
- Once cooked, coat chicken gently with gochujang glaze. Assemble sandwiches and serve with french fries.